Making a bold statement, yet blending into the surrounding suburb of Melville, 27Boxes is a realisation of edgy design and practical implementation. A radical departure from the shopping malls of our generation, yet not a return to the high streets of our youth. 27Boxes showcases the best of a shopping centre set in a garden, surrounded by the boheminian suburb that is Melville.
27Boxes is built entirely from shipping containers, the first of its kind in South Africa. The design combines shipping containers, garden plants and rolling lawns, together with other brick and concrete elements for a richly different look and feel.
Our design team toured Europe looking at shipping container developments and retail centre design, challenging ourselves with how we could do it differently and better. From Boxpark in London (a renowned and successful shopping centre built entirely from shipping containers) and the George Pompidou Centre in Paris (a bold and world famous statement of industrial design), we gathered ideas and laid the foundation of our concept. Our creative and architectural team has now taken this to a new level – 27Boxes is pioneering in concept and design, and profiles Johannesburg at the forefront of international design and bold ideas.
We are committed to providing a shopping experience built around the following:
- An indoor/outdoor shopping and lifestyle experience
- An exciting and evolving mix of stores, from the permanent to the pop-up;
- A platform for designers, artists and craftsmen to showcase their wares;
- An opportunity for entrepreneurs and artists to realise their life’s ambition;
- A community of people committed to excellence and innovation
- The safe and convenient gateway to Melville